I don’t have the best skin. For some reason, I didn’t grow out of acne as I got older. Because of this, I’ve become conscious of the fact that we really are what we eat. It’s important to be mindful of what I put in my mouth if I want to be break-out free. To help minimize awkward blemishes and help with cell re-growth, I need to include certain foods in my diet. Here’s a list of my 10 favorite foods for clear skin. Keep in mind that anything with fiber and vitamins A, C and E will be great for your skin. Enjoy!
1. Beets: Beetroot is high in vitamin A, potassium, sodium, calcium, magnesium, and vitamin E. All those things are essential for skin health and rejuvenation. When you’re chopping them up, they may stain your fingers but their health benefits will help eliminate toxins from the body and aid in cell turnover (which is essential for keeping pores clear).
2. Berries: Berries such as strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries are high in antioxidants. The antioxidants and nutrients in these fruits will protect your skin cells so there is less chance for long term damage.
3. Dark Greens Veggies: Not only are greens packed with anti-inflammatory properties, they contain a ton of fiber. Fiber helps prevent blood sugar from spiking and breakouts from popping up. They’re also filled with zinc, and vitamin A and C.
4. Green Tea: Green tea contains the antioxidant catechin EGCG and it’s anti-inflammatory property has a soothing effect on your skin. Green tea also reduces your risk of skin cancer since it helps protect your cells from damaged caused by ultraviolet light.
6. Mackerel: Consuming any oily fish can do wonders for your skin, but one of the best types for clear skin is mackerel. This fish is high in docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acids (EPA) which keep your skin glowing and smooth. Other options are sardines, albacore, and bluefin tuna.
8. Yogurt: Yogurt contains zinc for cell growth, lactic acid for smooth skin, and calcium to heal dry patches. It’s such a healthy super food. Oh yeah, and priobotics aren’t just great for your stomach, they’re great for clear skin too!
10. Whole Grains: Whole grains are filled with anti-inflammatory fiber. Their antioxidants also help stabilize your blood sugar. Just make sure to avoid white breads/pasta/rice/potatoes. The sugar in that stuff will spike your insulin levels and cause breakouts. Basically just make sure that the whole grains you pick up is high in fiber and low in sugar.
**Most of these food pictures were found on the internet…I made the awesome intro graphic!**